Friday, December 13, 2013

The Love Story

I met Aaron one week after I started BYU (Provo).  I hadn't gone to church the week before because I got locked out of my apartment, the office was closed, and both my roommates were on dates and wouldn't be back until who knows when.  So I drove home for the weekend.  The next Sunday, Aaron's roommate had given us a ride to church (leaving Aaron home in the process, haha).  I don't know why we didn't meet him at church, BUT that night there was some kind of devotional or FHE with the college president (something along those lines).  His same roommate, Joel, was going to give us a ride there too.  This time Aaron came a long.  It was definitely LIKE at first sight.  I thought he was cute.  It didn't hurt that he is Canadian (I knew a LOT of Canadians at BYU-I and think they are endearing) and likes John Wayne.

We have differing opinions on when our first date was.  He thought it was when we hiked the Y.  I don't agree because that was a 'group activity'.  In my mind our first date was a corn maze.  We'd been in school for about a month and he'd asked me out a couple of times, but I'd had previous engagements every time.  I was pretty open about telling him to try again and again.  So he knew I wanted to go on a date.  We held hands... well, I thought he was just being shy about holding my hand, so I just grabbed his.  It turns out, we just can't walk straight when we're talking and we kept brushing hands.  So now Aaron teases me that I moved WAY too fast.  Our first kiss was on October 18th.

We dated for 2 years and 2 months before we got engaged.  There were ups and downs, a break up, and a reunion (thanks Joel- our friend - although my brother IS super cool too).  I knew I wanted to marry him before he knew he wanted to marry me.  Although I say he subconsciously knew because when we had only been dating a few months he accidentally told me he loved me after dropping me off after a date.  Our engagement lasted four months and we were married the day after my parents' anniversary.

Our engagement story is not so romantic.  Poor Aaron hates the story.  It was on Christmas eve and he used his mother's ring since there was a mistake with my ring.  My ring is/was beautiful though.  One of the prettiest rings ever!  It had swirls of sapphires around the diamond.  It was our favorite thing about the ring.  I'm super sad, because I was careless and took off the ring before bed while on vacation at my parents' house.  I forgot to put it back on the next morning and the little ones ended up playing in my room.  It's never been found and I secretly think Anna flushed it down the toilet. (Sad day).

When we got engaged, I was in the middle of my senior year and was busy doing final projects, applying for internships, etc.  So my mom did most of the wedding planning.  I chose my dress and my colors (although I TRIED to change them).   My sister, Brittany, works at the Lion House so she helped coordinate our reception's cake buffet.  Aaron and I did decide on what cakes to have in that buffet.  Aaron's grandma made the cake, Aaron's sister made our wedding video, a daughter-in-law of friends in my parents' ward took the bridals, and Aaron's aunt and uncle (from different sides) took photos at the temple.  Other than that though, it was mostly mom.  My colors were a pink, purple and yellow.  I tried to change it when I thought of my brothers, but my mom liked them so we kept them.  I still get razzed by my brothers for making them wear pink.

We were married in the Salt Lake Temple.  Brother Seely performed the ceremony. I can only remember because he has the same name has Aaron and my favorite religion professor at BYU (we took his Old Testament classes together).  The only words I remember is that he specifically talked about the angels in the room.  That was special since Aaron's mom had passed away the year before.

We had a TON of people.  Aaron's family is BIG and alot were down from Canada for their children's college graduations.  So we had most of Aaron's aunts and uncles along with some special cousins.  Most of my aunts and uncles and some cousins.  There were a few friends, but mostly family.  I feel really awful because there were some people I didn't invite because I didn't think there would be room.  Now I think back and wonder why I worried about that.

At the reception we had a really nice back drop that a friend of my mom's had built for their daughter's wedding.  So my mom had some floral arrangements made for it, I think (she might have also had the same colors as me, so they might have been able to just re-use those).  It was very pretty.  The cake buffet and the tables had candles and rose petals as the center pieces.  It looked really nice.

At the reception, my sister's manned the cake buffet, and ladies from my home ward dealt with the dishes, etc.  Love you all!

We didn't have a wedding line with brides maids or best men.  My parents were in the line, Aaron's Dad and Aaron's little sister (who represented his late mother).

Things I DIDN'T like about our reception.  The cake topper.  I LOVED the cake itself... Aaron's grandma decorated it (she used to be a baker).  It was cool too.  Since we were also having a reception in Canada, she made it with this stuff that basically dried super hard.  I had the top level until recently (I didn't keep it because of the following).  I didn't like the topper.  I'd always wanted a crystal figure of the temple we were married in.  Unfortunately I only saw one.  I was in a hurry so I thought I'd be able to find it later.  I never saw one again.  So I ended up using a statue of the Salt Lake Temple that I had received for earning my Young Women award. I've always thought it looked awkward on that beautiful cake :/

I still feel bad that I forgot to make sure they got a tv.  We totally forgot to have one for playing our wedding video.  We love watching it at home though :)  Aaron's sister, Megan, made it and it is super cute!

My dad went to Cabella's in between the temple and our reception.  What's the big deal?  Well, he had forgot to put one of my bags, my toiletry bag to be precise, into Aaron's car while at the temple.  So I didn't have anything to help me freshen up my crazy curly hair before the reception, and when we got to the reception, he was still at Cabella's.  That was a little embarrassing.

Our honey moon was spent travelling to Canada.  We went to Yellowstone.  My great uncle has a cabin in Island Park that he let us use.  It was great.  There was still snow in the park.  I remember we wanted to see the Yellowstone Falls, but the trail was "closed".  That didn't stop my new, Canadian born husband.  We saw the falls, and all the while I was worried we'd slip, fall, and die without ever being found.  After Yellowstone, we went to Banff.  That was some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen while hiking.  Crystal clear waters, moss covered trees, tall stark mountains... gorgeous!

For our reception in Canada, it seemed like everyone in Aaron's home branch helped out.  A sister in the branch did my hair, Aaron's uncle MC'd the event, the refreshments were catered by the high school where Aaron's dad was principle.  Aaron's sister, Jilly, did a TON of work and it was amazing.  I don't think I've ever thanked her properly for all she and Dad did, but I do appreciate it.  Love to all those who were a part of our wedding.  For those who helped get it together, and for those who came to the reception to show your support.  If I didn't name you specifically, so sorry.

4 comments:

Lynsie said...

Don't worry about your hair. I would have thought it was funny if it was me because of course I'm a newly-wed. I'll tell you right now, the only reason Mike and I didn't was because pictures ran late and we were almost an hour late to the luncheon. Plus, we weren't going to have to wait until after a reception. :)

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Why was your hair frizzy Carrie? J/K. I remember that day. It was a beautiful day to get married, I remember that. The weather was gorgeous. I remember I didn't get to enjoy your reception at all though because I was manning the cake table. But it was worth it to help you out. You and Aaron are so cute together! Love you guys!

Jared said...

Ahhhhh the pink shirts!!!!!

Taylor said...

I am so impressed you remember the date of your first kiss!! Was it on a memorable day or something?

Very cute story!