Sunday, August 11, 2013

Successes and Failures

Mommy successes that aren't (because it's really just my kids being awesome).

1- The other day we were driving somewhere and Eli got all upset at the radio station:
    E: "Mom, I want to listen to a guy station, not a girl station."
I switched stations.  A man was singing, but it was a love song.
    E: "Not this one, a GUY station"
I switched it to the Christian rock station I listen to.
   E: "That's better!"
I'd like to think it was because it was songs about Christ, and NOT that it was a guy singing to a rock and roll beat.

2- Anna is VERY comforting and ever since Aaron got sick, has stuck to his side whenever she can.  She's his little nurse and he's her jungle gym.

3- When Eli prays, lately, his prayer is basically the children's hymn, "A Child's Prayer".  At least I know he's ready for the primary program.

4- Anna is finally able to go up and down the stairs.  Okay, this was probably inhibited by me wanting to hurry so I wouldn't let her go up and down the stairs herself.  HOWEVER, she is bossy enough that now she won't let me pick her up and carry her up/down the stairs.

5- Eli has been doing MUCH better at leaving places without crying.  This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I promise him a treat but only when we are leaving for home.  HE is also really good about it when I use Anna's nap or her tantrum as a reason.  He's becoming VERY understanding in that respect.

6- Anna likes to sing.  Last night I came home WELL past their bedtime and I could hear her singing in her crib to herself.  Super cute.

These are all successes of being a mom.  Not because of me, but because my kids are awesome.  When I look at what success I have had,  it's nada.  I'm still not patient (sometimes I don't even try to be), I need to be more involved and do fun activities, I failed to teach them things when it's easier to do them myself, and I think I am probably the cause of most of the problems we have.  So, while I'm trying to get up to snuff, at least my kids are cool in themselves.


2 comments:

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

I absolutely love good mommy days. The ones where I feel like the day was a complete success. I need to be way more patient too. Sometimes I think that maybe I'm just expecting to much out of my three year old daughter and I have to remind myself that she's not a teenager. Which can be hard :). I love hearing about other people's mommy moments. This was a great post!

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

I feel the same way. I need to pull away from the internet and computer and be more iNVOLVED with my kids and doing more fun things with them and more quality time with them.