Saturday, June 29, 2013

Helping Humility Along

When I came home from Old Navy's $1 flip flop sale with a new pair for Eli, Anna and myself, along with a t-shirt for Aaron- I felt perdy darn good about myself as a saver and as a wife/mom (I took care of everyone).  Returning home from a Saturday morning shopping trip where I get to browse at my leisure while Aaron takes the kids is great for everyone  (I feel refreshed, Aaron relieved, and the kids are happy to see ANYONE that they haven't seen in the last 5 minutes walk through the door).

Things were going great... UNTIL... I needed to comb Anna's hair.  Sending Aaron in search of her de-tangling spray, he searched their bathroom.  No spray - BUT- he found the prescription bottle of infant vitamins with fluoride.  And all of a sudden, I was in the Spanish Inquisition - and NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition.  

"Have we been giving her these vitamins?"-  No, as implied by the UNOPENED box.

"Why HAVEN'T we been giving her these vitamins?  These would make her teeth stronger than Eli's and hopefully help prevent her from going through the same thing he has had to." 

Suddenly Eli joined in with "I don't want Anna's teeth to be stronger than mine."  

Anna joined in with her blatherings that, for all I knew, meant, "Mom, I want stronger teeth than Eli... Why haven't you been making this happen?"

The Spanish Inquisition.  Needless to say, I escaped to my room.

NOW, I'm not opposed to fluoride in the least.  I am a LITTLE hesitant about how it is administered.  As a topical dose (rinses, toothpaste) I'm completely fine with it.  Ingesting the stuff is where things get a little bit dicey, in my book, with toxicity and teeth mottling.  

Apparently this was new information to Aaron and him being on the opposing side of the issue meant a good old healthy debate was going to occur where REALLY neither of us gave on our point.

Both, probably wanting to prove our points, did separate searches regards to the issue.  OF COURSE, with all science, it seems, we both had valid arguments.  The issue resolved with our decision to ask the dentist what they think is best (because I believe I remember one friend saying that her dentist and her doctor had differing advice on the subject; and, when it comes to teeth, I'll listen to the dentist).  It also gave us both the little oomph we needed to give each other's points a valid and respected look see, and as a couple to mutually apologize for our war of words.  Sometimes humility needs to be helped along and I'm just proud  that I took initiative this time instead of life clock me up-side the head.  It hurts less this way.

WAIT, did the title say humility?  Oh, crap, I guess I meant good, old fashioned  pride :)  Now I'll just wait for life to clock me upside the head with another fall ;)

2 comments:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Oh man. You guys and your debates. YOu guys crack me up. Eli getting mad about Anna having stronger teeth cracks me up. What a character!

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

I'm a hygienist and I don't give my give fluoride supplements or use fluoridated toothpaste. In school we heard horror studies that freaked me out. So, I'm just waiting until Emmy and jack are both older. Honestly, we have fluoride in our water now too...so fluoride supplements are not as necessary as they use to be when we were kids. That's just my two cents :). I completely agree with where you're coming from!