Thursday, February 7, 2013

Me, the Early Years

I was at first planning to do other posts in between this, but alas, that didn't happen.  Maybe this next month.

I grew up in Kearns and then Taylorsville.  Kearns was a small neighborhood, it had a lot of undeveloped areas which we used to go sledding in the winter.  It was within walking distance of our school, and not horribly far from what I still consider one of the most awesome parks (Copperton Park).  Taylorsville was a bigger neighborhood, but I think there were more kids my age.  It was still within walking distance from school, but we were usually driven there, and then walked home. 

My earliest memory?  My dad says I was like 2 when this happened, so I guess I shouldn't really remember it, BUT I must because I don't remember seeing any home movies about it and I haven't been to this place since.  I remember being splashed by Shamu at Sea World.  It's very vague, and I only remember a big orca whale and then being wet.  When I was older (don't know how old) I remember going to a cabin for Christmas.  I remember it had a big hot tub or jet tub.  Something like that.  I remember being afraid that I would go down the drain with the water.

We played hide and seek, hot lava (where you can't touch the floor and get around by jumping furniture to furniture, or getting something "rocks'  to use to get over the carpeted floor), and duck duck goose.  Board games we'd play were  mouse trap, Fireball Island, sorry, and tag.

I first started school at Baccus Elementary and then moved to Truman Elementary before my third grade year.

At Baccus, my friend was April (last names omitted).  Really she was the only friend in my grade.  From church there was her and Nicole.  I've completely lost touch with April (not by desire) but still keep tabs on Nicole.  When I moved to Taylorsville, my good girl friends were Summer, Erica, Deserae, and Krista in my grade.  From church, there was also Esther and Kali.  

My favorite teachers were my Kindergarten teacher (Mrs Flyme- although she left half way through the year), and my fourth grade teacher (Mrs Ashton).

I'll include my jr high and high school stuff with my teenage years ;)

My chores at home always switched.  With 7 kids, I'm sure it was hard to delegate the chores and have all the kids feeling like it was a fair shake.  The best part about our chores was my mom.  She's an expert list maker and an expert and acronyms.  We had to become pretty proficient at learning her ways to be able to read our chore list.  FR= family room.  LR= Living room.  lr= Laundry room (or was LR for laundry room?).  K=kitchen. You get the picture.  If we didn't know what they meant, we asked.  She said this forced communication with her, but I think we all liked to talk to mom, so that can't have been the reason.  This is how a typical chore list might look for me:

Carrie
LR (dust and vacuum)
section of K (see diagram below)
br (bedroom OR bathroom)
homework
piano 1/2 hour
upstairs trash
outside 1/2 hour (see Mom)

Sometimes it could get quite long, but oh well.  My chore lists are MUCH longer now :)

3 comments:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Oh man, that sample chore list brings back SO many memories. You remember so much about your childhood. I must not have a very good memory because I don't remember nearly half the kind of stuff you do.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

I think it's fun to see what other people did for chores when they were kids. My mom was famous for lists too! The list I remember most was the bathroom cleaning checklist that was on the back door of our bathroom downstairs. My mom was extremely nit picky about how we cleaned it...probably why I'm so OCD today :). And I didn't know you lived in Kearns for a little while growing up...glad you moved so I could meet you! Yay :)

Watts Family said...

You were always such a great friend...
Love your posts.