Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's all about me. It's all about I...

I stole this idea from a friend, but she got this Idea from here.

I love personal histories.  Especially those of family.  I've been able to read my maternal grandmother's history and Aaron's Grandfather's war history so far, and I feel like I know them so much more  because of it.  So for me, here's some of my history... edited for the general public.


This is ME 

My name is Carrie Mae after THREE great grandmothers.  My dad's maternal grandmother was Caroline "Carrie" and both my mother's grandmothers had the middle name of Mae (May).  My nicknames from family and friends are "Gigglebox", "Tinkerbell", "Carebear", "Carriemellow", and "Squigley" (for my curly hair.  My mom's parents called me "Carrie Mae" and I loved it.  Very few have called me that and I find I'm a little picky about who does.

My dad is Daniel, my mom is Lorene.  Raised in Idaho and Kentucky.  

I was born in September 1982, in Utah.  I was actually induced on my due date and I believe I arrived in the afternoon.  Nothing exciting.

I am one of seven children: Josh, Jared, me, Brittany, Lynsie, Taylor and Joel.  My older brothers have always been VERY protective of me (and all their younger sisters).  I've been closer to either Josh or Jared depending on my time of life.  I was awfully mean to my sisters, but we are great friends now thanks to their forgiveness.  Brittany and I became greater friends in high school, and Lynsie and my relationship grew when I went to college and even more when she went to college.  My younger brothers and my relationship is probably more of me trying to mother them :)  We have fun.  I LOVE my siblings dearly and have a firm testimony that we are a family for a reason.  We need each other.  Each of my family members have traits I admire and I desire to be more like them every day.  I won't name the traits, they are too personal for this post- if my siblings want to  know I'll gladly tell them :)  

My parents are amazing! I think, as a little child, I was probably closer to my dad simply because he was the more likely to give us treats :)  plus he wasn't the disciplinarian for most of the day.  BUT my mom was ALWAYS there.  I had awful headaches as a child and my mom was always there to nurse me, and make me feel comfortable.  In junior high and high school I grew even closer to my mom.   In college, there was some strain on that relationship during my courtship with Aaron, but it wasn't wholy unfounded and now that's over with.  She is one of my greatest confidants.  My parents are great examples of faith, endurance, generousity, and obedience.  They taught me that family rules are there out of love not opression.  It's true.  The times I got in trouble for breaking the rules, I never felt unloved that's for sure.
  

2 comments:

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

Yay! I'm glad you're doing this. I love reading about people's histories and seeing what I have in common with them. I don't know if I've ever told you this or not, but I've always been jealous of the relationship you have with your family. Not that my relationship isn't great...but it just seems like your family is so close. You guys did things all the time when we were growing up...and I always envied that. I was the only kid at home for 7 years. So it was mainly just my mom, dad, and me. But you were surrounded by siblings. Lucky girl :).

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

This was fun to read! I would like to know what traits you like about me. Perhaps I'll do something like this on my blog.