Friday, March 8, 2013

Growing Up, Teenage Years:

Hmmm, So I went to...can't even remember the name right now...Jr High.  Yes, it was a horrible transitory time full of acne and more, but elementary was much worse for me.  In Jr. High, there was no recess where I would go by myself so I wouldn't have to choose sides when half my friends were mad at the other half.  

I loved my classes (my favorite was World Geography)!  My big memory about Jr. High was when I had to have major surgery.  It was scary, but I had the best friends in the world.  Most of them were in the grade above me but Esther, Kristin, Malenda, and Summer were fantastic!  They would walk VERY slowly home with me since I couldn't walk faster than a slow shuffle for a good week and a half after returning to school.  Not to mention visits in the hospital and such.  Love those girls to this day even if we don't keep in touch as well as I'd like.

High school (Taylorsville) was even better!  Somehow, a prayer was answered.  One day, in Driver's Ed, Ashley said she recognized me from a singing group we were in together years before.  She introduced me to her friends and got me to come out of my shell.  Really, I don't think anyone could have a better group of friends than I did in High School.  I can't even describe how awesome they are and how much they influenced my life.  

In high school I played on the tennis team.  I played on a doubles team and I have to say that my assigned partner's language was AWFUL at first.  I thought there was no way that we would work out.  Yeah, we were the most awesome doubles team to come out of girls tennis at T-ville! (which really isn't that great).  We got fourth place in our region and got soundly beaten our first match at state!  It was a blast!!  I absolutely LOVE Savanah and really can't imagine anyone else that would be a more fun person to play tennis with. (Oh, and her language got better :)

I also participated in the chorus of the high school play my Sophomore and Jr year.  It gets pretty mundane when you're required to be at a 3 hour practice, but only actually do practice for the chorus for 1/2 hour.  So I had better things (for me) to do my senior year.

My first car was an old thunder bird or monte carlo (I can't remember which).  My dad bought it from a neighbor against my wish, my mom's wish, and the advice of the mechanic (my dad is VERY sentimental about models of cars he's previously owned).  Anyway, I was forced to drive this thing that came to be known as "the bomb" since it was a ticking time bomb.  It caught on fire twice (I wasn't present or I would have let it burn).  Being a good father that he is and not wanting me to burn in my automobile crematorium, my dad got me (the kids) a little toyota camery that I LOVED!

I never really had a boyfriend.  That happens when your mom drills into you that you don't have boyfriends in high school and me wanting to please her adopted the philosophy that if a boy tried to hold your hand... you ran.  I had crushes, some pretty serious crushes, but no boyfriend.  

Oh, man, my all time favorite class in high school (besides the social mob that is choir) was US History.  I had Miss Cluny and I honestly credit her with helping me prepare for what college would be like.  She was demanding and interesting and I learned to think in a whole new way.   I also loved art class (I like to think of myself as a budding artist, taking painting classes or drawing now and again).  There wasn't much I didn't like about school except for when I got docked on participation points in Spanish class for falling asleep- that happens when you've watched an English Documentary on the Panama Canal for the 5th time.

I've been working for my dad for money since I was... 12 maybe.  So I'll skip that job to my first out of family business job.  It was at The Popcorn Cottage, a gourmet popcorn shop.  I LOVED my first year working there.  I loved my co workers, a guy I had a crush on worked at the store across the way ... work was GOOD :)  It changed a little the next year as co-workers graduated, but I still had some that I enjoyed working with.

Wow, that was a LONG post.  I wish I lived near home so I could scan and insert pics, but I don't.  
   

3 comments:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

These posts bring back so many memories! I LOVED your group of friends too! I wish I had had that great of group when I was in High School. You really did have awesome friends. And the Popcorn Cottage, man so many memories of that place.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

So...I totally forgot about you working at the Popcorn cottage! Did you know the owners of it live in my ward? How crazy is that?! And I'm so glad that I was brave enough to say hello to you in school. I don't know what I would have done without our high school friends! We really were lucky :)

Amy said...

I think you served me some popcorn one time when I had a lunch break from Mervyn's. small world.