Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Inner Debate

What do you do when you think you might want to do something, learn a skill, whatever it is, but the cost is a little up there?  I am currently thinking about learning to become a piano technician.  The cost isn't exorbitant BUT it will make it so we don't have much to put towards savings for the next few months.  Normally I would say we'd use our tax refund but that was basically taken up by preschool for Eli next semester and medical bills (was anyone else's refund only half of what it was last year?  Ridiculous!).

Before I say any more, Aaron is ALL for me learning this skill.  He's VERY supportive of anything I want to do/learn.  The problem lies with me.


  • I did a dietetic internship at a private catholic school that cost a bundle on top of Aaron's already not to be scoffed at student loans.  I'm NOT currently working as a dietitian but still paying my dues to keep my "registered status" as well as my continuing ed there.  
  • I wanted to do a self study drawing course.  I think I'm still in the first quarter of the book and it's over a year after I bought all the materials, etc.  
  • I wanted to learn more piano theory but that's taken a back seat too.  


Let's just say, I don't have the greatest record for finishing things and I feel somewhat more of a drain on our finances than an asset.  SO my debate is whether or not doing this is worth the cost?  I can't decide.  I've been thinking about doing this for several years now (so it hasn't been some passing fancy) and a friend of a friend is actually on of the most sought after piano tuners in the valley here.  I got his contact info and he gave me some great advice.  SO now I just have to decide if it's something I really want to do, if now is the right time to do it, and if I feel like I'll be able to finish what I started and use the skill I'd learn?

Let's just say I'm not having fun trying to work it all out.

No comments: